Serena Maria Viles1
(1851 - 1895)
Serena Maria Viles|b. 1851\nd. 1895|p782.htm|Jotham Sewall Viles|b. 8 Dec 1827\nd. 2 Nov 1890|p784.htm|Mary Ann Leach|b. 1829\nd. Nov 1859|p821.htm|Alfred Viles|b. 3 Apr 1797\nd. 6 Aug 1881|p820.htm|Thankful Norton|b. 1 Apr 1796\nd. 8 Jun 1868|p822.htm|William R. Leach|b. s 1810|p1073.htm|Hannah Sewell|b. 1807|p1074.htm|
- Appears on the following charts:
- Descendants of William Lyon
Descendants of Joseph Viles
Descendents of Joseph Norton
Serena Maria Viles was born in 1851 in Wisconsin.5,6 She and Clarissa A. Viles are apparently enumerated twice on the 1860 census of Walworth County, Wisconsin -- once with their father, and again with the George W. Leach family in nearby Delavan. Unfortunately the 1860 census does not list relationships; but given the name, it's likely that the girls were staying with a relative of their recently deceased mother.7 She married Charles Wesley Lyon, son of William K. Lyon and Charlotte Lawrence, on 31 Dec 1868 in Eden, Benton County, Iowa.8,9,10 She and Charles Wesley Lyon were members of the Methodist Church.11 She was included in a group photo taken circa 1885. Pictured are Charles and Serena (on the ends) with Walter, Charlotte, Elsie, and Etta Belle between them. This is believed to be the only existing photo of Charlotte, who died a few years later at age 14. Serena Maria died in Newman Grove, Madison County, Nebraska, in 1895 Since Harry was apparently born in Newman Grove, and Charles is living there in 1900, designated "widowed", this researcher assumes that the family had been living in Newman Grove for some time, and that Sarena died there in the family home.8,12
Serena M. (Viles) Lyon
Last Edited=July 20, 2008
Children of Serena Maria Viles and Charles Wesley Lyon
- Walter Sewell Lyon+ (Nov 1869 - 1948)13
- Etta Belle Lyon+ (23 Nov 1872 - 28 Aug 1955)14
- Grace Altana Lyon (1874 - 1877)
- Charlotte May Lyon (1878 - 1892)
- Elsie Matilda Lyon+ (Feb 1884 - )
- Harry Ross Lyon+ (Sep 1887 - a Aug 1955)
- Hugh Viles Lyon (b 1894 - b 1900)
- Myrtle Leotta Lyon+ (Jul 1894 - a Aug 1955)
- Family 24, dwelling 25, p. 145. household, 1860 United States Census, Wisconsin, Walworth County, unknown cd2. Heritage Quest CD digital scan of NARA. Unknown volume.
- Unknown author, "Inscription in Hymnal of Archie J. Kearns," e-mail message to e-mail address owner (2000) Don Kearns, Inside the front cover of this hymnal is this inscription:
By her Sister Nellie
It was Given
to Nellie By
her Father J.S. Viles
Presented to him by his Parents
Elsie is known to be a half-sister of Serena..
- P. 50, family 432, dwelling 432, line 3. household, 1860, United States Census, Wisconsin, Walworth County.
- Unknown author, Assumptions by the researcher (n.p.: n.pub., unknown publish date).
- J.S. Viles household, 1860, United States Census, Wisconsin, Walworth County.
- C.W. Lyon household, 1870 United States Census, Iowa, Benton County, sheet 30, page 111 line 40. NARA. Unknown volume.
- Geo W. Leach household, 1860, United States Census, Wisconsin, Walworth County.
- Unknown subject, 1 Jan 1948, researcher's files, Laguna Niguel, Orange County, California, p. 3.
- Film M593, Rol 396, Sheet 30, Pg. 111 lines 39-40 household, 1870, United States Census, Iowa, Benton County.
- Unknown author, Methodist-Episcopal Church Records, Garrison (IA) Circuit (n.p.: n.pub., 1865-1907), Marriages.
- Unknown name of person unknown record type, Mission Viejo, CA LDS Family History Center, Mission Viejo, Orange County, California, Probationers' Record.
- E.D. 130, Sheet 4, Shill Creek Precinct, family 84, dwelling 84, line 12 household, 1900 United States Census, Nebraska, Madison County, unknown cd2. NARA. T623.
- Sheet 30, page 112, line 1. household, 1870, United States Census, Iowa, Benton County.
- Etta Belle Morford, Death Certificate 26606 (9 Sep 1955), Missouri State Archives, 600 W.Main St./P O Box 1747, Jefferson City, Missouri.