Francis Marion Morford
(14 May 1847 - 1 July 1932)
Francis Marion Morford|b. 14 May 1847\nd. 1 Jul 1932|p50.htm|William Morford|b. 27 Jan 1799\nd. 2 Feb 1875|p546.htm|Phebe Robison|b. 10 Oct 1807\nd. 8 Mar 1882|p547.htm|John Morford|b. 18 May 1758\nd. 8 May 1840|p548.htm|Mary Cox|b. 31 Oct 1757\nd. 1862|p549.htm|John W. Robison|b. 1790\nd. 1840|p403.htm|Angelina Ripley|b. 1788|p402.htm|
- Appears on the following charts:
- Descendants of Cyrus Day
Descendants of John Morford
Francis Marion Morford was born on 14 May 1847 in Valparaiso, Porter County, Indiana.1,2,3 He married Cordelia Day Gibson, daughter of Cyrus Day and Harriett Cashow, on 17 May 1868 in Albia, Monroe County, Iowa.3,4,5 He was presumably a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which his wife Cordelia was a member when she died.4 He and Cordelia Day lived in Malvern, Mills County, Iowa, in Sep 1873.6,3,4 He lived in Malvern, Mills County, Iowa, in 1903.7 He lived in Glenwood, Mills County, Iowa, circa 1912 with his son Cyrus.3 He "gave his letter to the M.E. [Methodist Episcopal] church" in Glenwood, Mills County, Iowa.3 Francis was widowed by Cordelia's death on 12 Sep 1912 in Malvern, Mills County, Iowa.3,4,1 He was issued a land patent on 7 Aug 1916 in Valentine, Nebraska, for four lots in Nebraska, unless the F.M. Morford named on the patent is one of his similarly-named contemporaries.8 He died on 1 Jul 1932 in Malvern, Mills County, Iowa, at age 85 at the home of his son Charles, "after an illness of some three weeks of pneumonia."3,1 He was buried in Malvern Cemetery, Malvern, Mills County, Iowa.3,1 Francis Marion is easily confused with at least one, possibly two contemporaries who shared his name. Our F.M. Morford apparently jumped the broom with Cordelia Day (widow of Milo H. Gibson) during or shortly after the Civil War, and not only helped her retrieve her girls from the local orphanage, but also supported them and raised them with his family. He supported his family as a farmer and teamster in Mills County, Iowa.
Francis Marion Morford at 85, taken May 1932
Last Edited=March 17, 2007
Children of Francis Marion Morford and Cordelia Day
- Francis Arlando Morford+ (4 Oct 1867 - 3 Apr 1903)
- Alexander Columbus Morford+ (22 Feb 1869 - )
- Silas James Morford (31 Jul 1871 - c Mar 1950)
- Cyrus H. Morford+ (31 Jul 1871 - 25 Apr 1951)
- Charles N. Morford+ (10 Feb 1874 - 1 Aug 1939)
- Flora Elmira Morford (4 Mar 1876 - )
- Myrtle G. Morford (23 Jan 1878 - 1960)
- Francis M. and Cordelia Morford tombstone, Malvern Cemetery, Malvern, Mills County, Iowa; photographed by Vicky Winfield, 29 Apr 2001.
- William Morford household, 1850 United States Census, Indiana, Porter County, Porter Township, n.p. (p. 129?). NARA. M432.
- "F. M. Morford Died in Malvern Friday," Transcription of article in The Malvern Leader, Malvern, Iowa, 7 Jul 1932, p. 1 in an e-mail message from Vicky Winfield to this researcher, 6 Jun 2001.
- "Death of Mrs. F.M. Morford," Transcription of article in The Malvern Leader, Malvern, Iowa, 19 Sep 1912, p. 3, e-mail message from Vicky Winfield to this researcher, 6 Jun 2001.
- F.M. Morford household, 1910 United States Census, Iowa, Mills County, ED 101, Sheet 1A/153, lines 29-32. Abstracted by researcher. No photocopy made. NARA. T624.
- "Life Sketch of Cyrus H. Morford," Transcription of article in The Opinion-Tribune, Glenwood, Iowa, 3 May 1951, p. 6, in an e-mail message from Vicky Winfield to this researcher, 6 Jun 2001.
- Audrey Stubbart, The Centenarians (n.p.: HCOA, unknown publish date), 1, Audrey's family (and "Aunt Elsie"?) moved in with her grandparents. Frank and Cordelia Morford were known to be living in Malvern IA for many years, thus my assumption that Great-Grandma meant this set of grandparents..
- Francis M. Morford Federal Land Patent, no. 541323; Bureau of Land Management; viewed online; http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/