Francis Arlando Morford
(4 October 1867 - 3 April 1903)
Francis Arlando Morford|b. 4 Oct 1867\nd. 3 Apr 1903|p48.htm|Francis Marion Morford|b. 14 May 1847\nd. 1 Jul 1932|p50.htm|Cordelia Day|b. 11 Sep 1835\nd. 12 Sep 1912|p51.htm|William Morford|b. 27 Jan 1799\nd. 2 Feb 1875|p546.htm|Phebe Robison|b. 10 Oct 1807\nd. 8 Mar 1882|p547.htm|Cyrus Day|b. 5 May 1810\nd. b 1880|p563.htm|Harriett Cashow|b. 19 May 1814|p564.htm|
- Appears on the following charts:
- Descendants of Cyrus Day
Descendants of William Lyon
Descendants of Joseph Viles
Descendants of John Morford
Descendents of Joseph Norton
Francis Arlando Morford was born on 4 Oct 1867 in Albia, Monroe County, Iowa.1,2,3 He married Etta Belle Lyon, daughter of Charles Wesley Lyon and Serena Maria Viles, in 1891 in Newman Grove, Madison County, Nebraska.4 Francis and Etta "were married in the first year of a four year drought. They sank everything into stocking their farm, and by the time the drought was over they'd lost everything."5 Francis would spend the next decade working a series of odd jobs to make ends meet for his family. He was employed as a butcher at a meat factory for a time in Lincoln, Nebraska.5 His first two children -- a son who did not survive, and daughter Audrey Fay -- were born in Nebraska. They also spent time in Tabor, Mills County, Iowa. He and Etta Belle Morford lived in Texas in 1899, where he picked cotton to support his family. Their son Rexford was born there.5 He and Etta Belle Morford moved to Malvern, Mills County, Iowa, in 1900.5 He and Etta Belle Morford lived in Tabor, Mills County, Iowa, from 1901 to 1902.1 From 1902 to 1903Francis Arlando Morford and Etta Belle Morford returned to Gordon, Sheridan County, Nebraska, where he was the foreman of Bell ranch.1 Francis Arlando died suddenly of pneumonia in Gordon, Sheridan County, Nebraska, on 3 Apr 1903 at 35 years, 5 months and 30 days of age. His untimely death left behind three small children and a wife heavy with child..1 He was buried in Malvern Cemetery, Malvern, Mills County, Iowa.6,1,7
Francis A. Morford
Last Edited=September 2, 2007
Children of Francis Arlando Morford and Etta Belle Lyon
- "Obituary (Fred Morford)," Transcription of article in The Leader, Malvern, Iowa, 19 Apr 1903, p. 1, in an e-mail message from Vicky Winfield to this researcher, 6 Jun 2001.
- Francis A. Morford tombstone, Malvern Cemetery, Malvern, Mills County, Iowa; photographed by Vicky Winfield, 29 Apr 2001.
- Francis Morford household, 1900 United States Census, Iowa, Fremont County, Green Township, Supervisors District 28, E.D. 56, Sheet 2, line 54. NARA. T623, roll 433.
- Unknown subject, 1 Jan 1948, researcher's files, Laguna Niguel, Orange County, California, p. 4.
- Bernard Edelman, Centenarians: The Story of the 20th Century by the Americans Who Lived It (New York: Farrar, Strass and Giroux, 1999), p. 12.
- Unknown article title, Obituary for F.A. Morford, unknown location.
- Vicky Winfield, "no title (F. A. Morford interment notice)," e-mail message from e-mail address (9120 Oak Cliff Dr., Midwest City, OK 73130) to DeAnna Burghart, 6 Jun 2001. Transcription of article in Mills County Tribune, Glenwood, Iowa, 19 Apr 1903, p. 7Hereinafter cited as F. A. Morford interment notice.