(1832 - )
Levi Sawyer was born in 1832 in Massachusetts.4 He was a member of a large family, with four brothers and four sisters. His parents moved to Pennsylvania in 1849, then near Elmyra, New York.4 He lived in Richmond, Walworth County, Wisconsin, in 1853 after living in Waukesha County in 1850, and later in Racine County.4 He married Thankful A. Viles, daughter of Alfred Viles and Thankful Norton, in 1853 in Richmond, Walworth County, Wisconsin.1,4 On 5 Dec 1853, Levi Sawyer bought land in Walworth County, Wisconsin. $200.5 He was head of household on the 1855 census of in Walworth County, Wisconsin with 2 males (Levy and Benjamin W.) and 2 females (Thankful and Frances)..6 He and Thankful A. Viles had 6 children: Benjamin W. (born Walworth Co. in 1854), Frances E., George H., Orrin R., Zebulon B., and Thankful N.7 He lived in Rice County, Minnesota, for three years at some point, before returning to Walworth County.4
Last Edited=December 30, 2006
- Unknown author, Last Will and Testament of Alfred Viles (n.p.: n.pub., 18 Jan 1869), p. 1.
- 1855 Wisconsin state census, Walworth County, population schedule, Family History Library microfilm no. 1032689 Salt Lake City, Utah, p. 33.
- Wisconsin Deeds 17: 339, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, microfilm 1435083, Family History Library (FHL), Salt Lake City, Utah. Warranty Deed from Benjamin W. Viles to Levi Sawyer.
- Unknown author, History of Walworth County Wisconsin ... (Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1882).
- Wisconsin Deeds 17: 339, FHL microfilm 1435083. Warranty Deed from Benjamin W. Viles to Levi Sawyer. The deed for the original purchase from Alfred by Benjamin is cited, "dated 1 April 1853 and recorded in Volume 12, pp. 160-161.".
- 1855 Wisconsin state census, Walworth County, population schedule, p. 33.
- Unknown editor, History of Walworth County, p. 805.